Ready for Back to School? Looking for ways to save? Here are 5 great ways to save money on back to school shopping.
Are you counting down the days yet? I know I am… I love my kids dearly but the boredom and fighting of summer could end anytime! When you’re ready to hit the stores follow these tips to save some cash!
5 Ways to Save on Back to School Shopping
- Bring your list. Most schools should have a list posted on their website or there will at least be a basic list posted on the school district site. Having the list helps keep you on track and buying only what is needed. As cute as those itty bitty erasers are, chances are the teacher doesn’t want them in the classroom. If you know what you are after it also makes the trip go faster! *Reminder leave the kids at home… I tell you why in my post 3 Ways to Save Money on Back to School Shopping
- Don’t use the pre-packaged option. A friend of mine said that it was worth it to call a local company that puts together the whole list for your child and all you do is pick it up. It may save you a bit of time but it won’t save you any cash! The smaller companies tend to charge more for everyday items. They will also put everything on this list in the package. Keep in mind that not all teachers use the “suggested lists!” If you buy it in a package deal you won’t be able to take it back if your child doesn’t need it. It is convenient but will probably cost you double what doing it yourself will.
- Check the house. Do you have anything still kicking around the house from last year? I’m pretty sure we actually have enough crayons for a whole classroom of kids. Do they really need the new box? I know that having a home office I often have things like pens, pencils, highlighters and lined paper. Why buy more when you have some at home you can use up first!
- Buy Extra (& Save Later!) I know I already told you to stick to the list but buying extra doesn’t hurt if it will save you money later! School supplies in August are way cheaper than later in the year. Chances are your child will use all the pencils or erasers and get a note home before the year is up. If you can get pencils for $0.39 instead of $1.99 why not! If you don’t end up using them during the school year you’ll be ahead on your shopping for next year!
- Clothes Swap. Believe it or not your child doesn’t have to have a completely new wardrobe to head back to school. Kids are kids and they are going to trash all those clothes anyways! Why not look into a local swap, facebook group or just ask friends about trading clothes. That way you child gets a new wardrobe without breaking the bank. I was fortunate enough to get a bag of hand-me-downs for my son this year. He wears those clothes more than the ones I did buy him new! Go figure!
Do you want to learn even more ways to save money on back to school shopping?
Check out these sites for even more great money saving back to school tips!
If you’re ready to check out the stores, here are a few ways to find the best back to school sales!
YOU can hit any financial goals you dream of. YOU CAN do it yourself, you just might need a little help. I can help you to discover patterns and behaviors around money that you didn’t know you have. Overcome emotional hurdles and change your negative money beliefs. I will help you customize your own budget and most importantly I will keep you accountable.